Sunday, July 27, 2014

Integration

We recently had a group project called "Connections Across Disciplines" where we created a lesson plan based on our specialties. My group examined the use of games, this time a protein-folding computer game called Fold-It, to introduce students to protein structure, protein function, and scientific research. The original idea was to have students explore this game on their own devices -- a laptop, tablet, or smartphone -- until we realized that Fold-It only worked on a computer and had to modify our lesson plan accordingly.

I was introduced to Fold-It in grad school when we were discussing current topics in protein research. From a scientist standpoint, Fold-It generates useful new information about how proteins fold and contributes to current research. From a high school student's stance, the game could potentially teach them about the importance of protein structure and function in biological systems. It also gives students a better picture of what proteins look like, instead of staring at a blob and trying to make believe it's an enzyme. Looking back, I wish I had a chance to use this game in my own AP Bio class; it would have made more sense to me to play around on the game and manipulating protein side chains on the computer instead of memorizing the definition of secondary and tertiary structure.

It wasn't until college when I started seeing more connections between my science classes, as well as across disciplines, like in science and non-science courses. I think it's unfortunate that we don't teach classes in a more integrated manner and help students better understand the purpose and application behind the things they're learning. The protein-folding game, for instance, uses computers and a game-like modality to teach students about macromolecule function. It also exposes students to the research side of things, making it clear that there is much to learn beyond of what is in the textbook. On the flip side, sewing different pieces together may make it confusing for students who like to compartmentalize information, and I can certainly anticipate students complaining about me putting a research twist on practically everything. I'll justify it with "We're learning about it because it's awesome!" Enough said.

No comments: