Tuesday, July 15, 2014

Education as a Social Experience

I always thought that getting an education was preparation for my future job. At least that's what my parents, teachers, and society told me, as if once you found a job, you could stop going to school. It wasn't until high school when I figured out the difference between "going to school" and "learning", and I spent most of college trying to figure out how to learn properly. Once I started the biology graduate program, I was hardly taking classes - going to school - but continued to learn by hands-on experience and data analysis.

I find it interesting that John Dewey sees education as a social process, stating that the school should serve to expand on values that children learn at home. I only partially agree with that statement; I was born overseas and emigrated to the United States when I was 3. My parents were first-generation Asian immigrants, and many of the values that we had at home were vastly different from the values I learned at school. Asia has a rather collectivist outlook, while the US pushes children to be their own individual. As I tried to do the latter to fit in, the more my parents seem to disapprove. Secondly, as I mentioned above, education was not a process of living for me until I went to college. From kindergarten to senior year, I had a very compartmentalized view of school -- go in, learn a bunch of stuff I may or may not remember, go home, do homework, repeat. It wasn't an ever-changing process, it was autopilot. In college, I started to realize that social collaboration was an important component for effective learning, and my favorite college classes were heavily based on discussion. Education, therefore, became that fluid process Dewey wrote about, and I became aware of several other ways to acquire information aside from rote learning.

It took me a while to understand education as a social process, and I wonder why nobody ever mentioned that to me. It was always "you'll need to do X in the future" or "because you'll gain skill Y, which you'll find useful in the future". But what these people didn't realize (and I just realized it myself) is that having an education forces us to be better people... for the most part anyway. I despised group work in elementary school because it meant I had to work with people I didn't necessarily like, and I tried really hard to avoid recess because it meant I couldn't hide in a corner with a book. As I passed through high school, college, and grad school, I realized that (a) even the people I didn't like initially grew on me, (b) while group work meant more opinions, but it also meant more collaboration, and (c) hiding in a corner all the time with a book is horrendously depressing.

On a parting note, I think education really forced me to transform. I've usually taken the role of the observer, because playing any other role in the classroom meant that I would have to voice my opinion. What if I embarrassed myself? What if I was wrong and everyone thought I was dumb? I eventually became comfortable with voicing my opinion and risking looking stupid in college, and in graduate school found out that research is all about the risk of looking/feeling dumb. Yes, I would have a hypothesis, but there was never a guarantee that it was the right answer. The only thing I could do was to discuss with my advisor, and it took me over a year to realize that he didn't care about the "correct" answer, only that I had sufficient evidence for my argument....and so going back to where I learned to propose my opinion and speak up. Through an education.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Hey Melissa,
I also thought it was interesting to read how Dewey views school as a social process. I never thought of it in this way before. Going to school as a student I thought I was getting an education for my future, but now that I have been a teacher I see that we have to prepare our students to be able to function in society. Such as having high expectations for presentations because in the business world you are expected to dress and act professionally in society. It is interesting to think how differently I would have seen school had I known that education is just there to shape us to fit into society. There are so many things to think about now that we are becoming teachers and have such a strong influence in how our students evolve while in our classes.

Jeff said...

Melissa, if the only thing you take away from reading Dewey is strengthening your belief that taking risks and potentially "failing" is the source of a great deal of true learning, then I am very happy that we assigned you this reading.
Bravo, Melissa!
May I suggest that you keep an eye out in your placement, and as you visit and speak with other teachers in your building (as well as your own mentor and your classmates), about how teachers make room for kids to *safely* take risks? Those teachers that can do this well are the kinds of role models we all need...watch them and speak with them.

Holly said...

I shared a somewhat similar experience as you did while reading Dewey. My experience was similar growing up. You go to school to prepare for a future. It seemed like every class, lesson, and test prepared was just to reach the next level. Like you I like to constantly learn, and after spending some time out in the working world I realized that what I learned in high school or even college didn't really prepare me for what's out there.I'm with you in regards to Dewey. Learning is a process of living, and like you, I'm hoping this is something I can carry in to my classroom. I thought this was a fantastic read because it just affirmed what the real world already started to teach me. Thanks for sharing your personal experience! I really appreciated it!