Monday, February 9, 2015

Technology Teach-In

I've heard that Prezi can make audiences dizzy because of their constant zooming in and out. That being said. I don't think it would be to difficult to incorporate into a lesson if the animation was limited. For a biology class, Prezi would be a great way to utilize the animation and the customizable backgrounds to teach about molecular biology. As the topic becomes more refined, the zooming in feature of Prezi helps students visualize where they are in the cell in relation to everything else, as well as what that area looks like up close.

We will be covering DNA, transcription, and translation soon, and I think it would be more helpful for students to see the big picture as the background to the Prezi, then letting the program zoom in to specific objects in the cell, like nucleus, ribosome, and tRNA. I've usually used PowerPoint or a chalkboard to teach these topics previously, and while it worked well, it was also directed towards students who have had a strong science background. In my current situation, the goal is to build up students' science backgrounds so that they're college-ready.

Prezi and a SmartBoard may sound relatively low tech for some schools, but for the one I'm working in, a communal Chromebook cart or iPad cart is not an option. We have one cart of iPads for the entire school, and demand is high. Wifi is not available, and as a student teacher, I have no right to demand wireless internet for my students or the rest of the school. Given the resources available, Prezi and a SmartBoard may be my best bet at the moment.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Melissa! I think this a great toll to use given the resources you have in your placement. I am also incorporating Prezi. I am using it for the digestive system because it will visually enable students to see step by step the order in which food travels down the body. I like the idea of using this to cover this DNA unit I feel that it will mold a lot of the segmented portions of translation and transcription and it will provide students with a great way to analyze how each organelle/process works together. I did a similar Prezi for understanding parts of a cell and the students really enjoyed it and I would suggest throwing in pause conceptual questions in between some slides just to quiz students and get some ideas about what they are learning. Best of luck! love, sara <3

SRamados said...

Melissa,
I also think that Prezi can be used very effectively in classroom. Especially in biology as it deals with micro structures a lot more than in classical Physics. After Maize Prezi presentation, I was so impressed with it that I was looking for ways I could use it in a Physics classroom. I think will use when I teach atomic or nuclear Physics at some point in future. I am guessing you would be using 'portable' Prezi.. Let me know if it comes loaded like the online version.

roryhu said...

Melissa,
Although Prezi has some limitations, I think a science class is the best fit because of what you mention here. Also, I wonder if there is a way to compare kids' understanding of the material from either Prezi or Powerpoint/the chalkboard. Good luck!

Stephen Smith said...

I can’t help but agree with you about Prezi. When the movement is in and out, in an out, in and out (again and again), it makes me nauseous for some reason. It really depends on how you use it though, and I think you have a great idea here. Certain programs naturally lend themselves to specific activities, and in this case Prezi works best.

Using Prezi to understand DNA is an absolutely fantastic idea. Prezi allows for seeing the “big picture” but then as you explained it can move deeper and deeper into the aspects of the cell. You simply can’t do this movement in PowerPoint or on the chalkboard. You’re basically making the whole process visual and interactive to a certain degree. I’m confident this will help visual learners the most, but it undoubtedly with aid all students. Also, this Prezi Presentation could serve as a way to break up the lecture so you’re not just talking at them. I think it easily allows for a place to ask students questions about what is going on and they can deepen their understanding. Great idea!